Seems like my only posts these days are webinar decks. But hey, marketing is marketing.
SERPStat invited me to talk about one of my favorite topics/pet peeves: Data visualization. I learned (after about 20 years) that if no one understands you, being right means exactly nothing. In this deck I talk about:
- How we interpret data (and wasps)
- Creating reports that don’t terrify the audience
- Providing instant context
- Helping the audience drill down into the details
Some Useful Links
- I used lots of examples. Some are in this Google Sheet: https://url.ianlurie.com/3m89facm
- Stephen Few: I stole liberally from Stephen Few(Look at the examples!!!)
- Edward Tufte is the absolute king of data visualization. Read his stuff
- I just read Storytelling With Data for the first time. Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic’s book is fantastic, with lots of real examples. Check out her site here
- For a semi-colorblind non-designer like me, Tim Beard’s Natural Color Palette is a must
- A bazillaion years ago, I wrote this post about data drill-down. It’s not too shabby.